Time to make – 40 minutes
Serves – 1 x 30cm round cake
- 1 ½ cups PowerStart CaCao
- 7 fresh medjool dates
- 1 cup raw hydrated cashew nuts [soak in water for 2 hours or overnight then drain]
- ½ cup of honey or agave syrup
- 2/3 cup water
- Dash vanilla essence
- 2 slightly heaped teaspoons of agar agar powder
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup raspberries [fresh or defrosted frozen]
- 2 desert spoon organic raw sugar or alternate sweetener
- ½ teaspoon guar gum [available in health food stores]
- Segments from half a pomegranate
Deseed dates and mash them to a paste with fingers and then mix in power start until evenly mixed.
Press the base mix into a 30 cm spring form cake tin to evenly cover the base.
In a blender place soaked cashews, honey , 2/3 cup water and vanilla essence and blend for approx 1½ minutes or until a smooth runny batter consistency is achieved. Add a little more water to achieve this if needed.
To set the cashew mix place agar powder and ¼ cup cool water into a small pan and bring to a simmer for 30 seconds stirring regularly. Remove from the heat, turn on the blender with the cashew batter in it and pour the melted agar into the blender . Blend for 10 seconds then quickly pour the mix into the cake tin over the base, refrigerate for 20 minutes to set it.
Blend the raspberries to a puree then add the sugar and guar gum and mix well. The guar gum will thicken the raspberry puree to a spreadable consistency.
Spread the raspberry topping over the set cake and sprinkle pomegranate segments.
This cake will last refrigerated for 3 days
By Head Chef Todd Stream Cameron